Address:No.221, Sec. 2, Zhishan Rd., Shilin Dist., Taipei City 11143, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
The National Palace Museum is an antique museum in Shilin, Taipei. It is one of the national museums in the island nation of the Republic of China,and has a permanent collection of more than 696,000 pieces of ancient Chinese imperial artifacts and artworks, making it one of the largest in the world.
Establishment in Beijing and relocation
The National Palace Museum was originally established as the Palace Museum in Beijing's Forbidden City on 10 October 1925, shortly after the expulsion of Puyi,the last emperor of China, from the Forbidden City by warlord Feng Yü-hsiang. The articles in the museum consisted of the valuables of the former Imperial family.
In 1931, shortly after the Mukden Incident Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalist Government ordered the museum to make preparations to evacuate its most valuable pieces out of the city to prevent them from falling into the hands of the Imperial Japanese Army. As a result, from 6 February to 15 May 1933, the Palace Museum's 13,491 crates and 6,066 crates of objects from the Exhibition Office of Ancient Artifacts, the Yiheyuan and the Hanlin Yuan Imperial Academy were moved in five groups to Shanghai. In 1936, the collection was moved to Nanjing after the construction of the storage in the Taoist monastery Chaotian Palace was complete. As the Imperial Japanese Army advanced farther inland during the Second Sino-Japanese War, which merged into the greater conflict of World War II, the collection was moved westward via three routes to several places including Anshun and Leshan until the surrender of Japan in 1945. In 1947, it was shipped back to the Nanjing warehouse.
Evacuation to Taiwan
The Chinese Civil War resumed following the surrender of the Japanese, ultimately resulting in Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek's decision to evacuate the arts to Taiwan. When the fighting worsened in 1948 between the Communist and Nationalist armies, the Palace Museum and other five institutions made the decision to send some of the most prized items to Taiwan.Hang Li-wu, later director of the museum, supervised the transport of some of the collection in three groups from Nanjing to the harbor in Keelung, Taiwan between December 1948 and February 1949. By the time the items arrived in Taiwan, the Communist army had already seized control of the Palace Museum collection so not all of the collection could be sent to Taiwan. A total of 2,972 crates of artifacts from the Forbidden City moved to Taiwan only accounted for 22% of the crates originally transported south, although the pieces represented some of the very best of the collection.
Three shipments from Nanjing to Keelung between 1948 and 1949
The collection from the Palace Museum, the Preparatory Office of the National Central Museum, the National Central Library, and the National Beiping Library was stored in a railway warehouse in Yangmei following transport across the Taiwan Strait and was later moved to the storage in cane sugar mill near Taichung. In 1949, the Executive Yuan created the Joint Managerial Office, for the Palace Museum, the Preparatory Office of the Central Museum and the Central Library to oversee the organization of the collection.For security reasons, the Joint Managerial Office chose the mountain village of Beikou, located in Wufeng, Taichung as the new storage site for the collection in the same year. In the following year, the collection stored in cane sugar mill was transported to the new site in Beikou.
With the Central Library's reinstatement in 1955, the collection from the Beiping Library was simultaneously incorporated into the Central Library. The Joint Managerial Office of the National Palace Museum and the Preparatory Office of the National Central Museum stayed in Beikou for another ten years. During the decade, the Office obtained a grant from the Asia Foundation to construct a small-scale exhibition hall in the spring of 1956.The exhibition hall, opened in March 1957, was divided into four galleries in which it was possible to exhibit more than 200 items.
In the autumn of 1960, the Office received a grant of NT$32 million from AID. The Republic of China (ROC) government also contributed more than NT$30 million to establish a special fund for the construction of a museum in the Taipei suburb of Waishuanxi. The construction of the museum in Waishuanxi was completed in August 1965. The new museum site was christened the "Chung-Shan Museum" in honor of the founding father of the ROC, Sun Yat-sen, and first opened to the public on the centenary of Sun Yat-sen's birthday. Since then, the museum in Taipei has managed, conserved and exhibited the collections of the Palace Museum and the Preparatory Office of the National Central Museum.
During the 1960s and 1970s, the National Palace Museum was used by the Kuomintang to support its claim that the Republic of China was the sole legitimate government of all China, in that it was the sole preserver of traditional Chinese culture amid social change and the Cultural Revolution in mainland China, and tended to emphasize Chinese nationalism.
The People's Republic of China (PRC) government has long said that the collection was stolen and that it legitimately belongs in China, but Taiwan has defended its collection as a necessary act to protect the pieces from destruction, especially during the Cultural Revolution. However, relations regarding this treasure have warmed in recent years and the Palace Museum in Beijing has agreed to lend relics to the National Palace Museum for exhibitions since 2009. The Palace Museum curator Zheng Xinmiao have said that the artifacts in both mainland and Taiwan museums are "China's cultural heritage jointly owned by people across the Taiwan Strait."
The National Palace Museum's main building in Taipei was designed by Huang Baoyu and constructed from March 1964 to August 1965.Due to the insufficient space to put on display over 600,000 artifacts, the museum underwent expansions in 1967, 1970, 1984 and 1996. In 2002, the museum underwent a major $21-million-dollar renovation revamping the museum to make it more spacious and modern.The renovation closed about two-thirds of the museum section and the museum officially reopened in February 2007.
Permanent exhibitions of painting and calligraphy are rotated once every three months. Approximately 3,000 pieces of the museum's collection can be viewed at a given time.
The National Palace Museum and the Palace Museum in the Forbidden City in Beijing, People's Republic of China (PRC), share the same roots. They split in two as a result of the Chinese Civil War which divided China into the two countries of the Republic of China (Taiwan) and the People's Republic of China (PRC). In English, the institution in Taipei is distinguished from the one in Beijing by the additional "National" designation. In common usage in Chinese, the institution in Taipei is known as the "Taipei Gugong" , while that in Beijing is known as the "Beijing Gugong" .
Take the MRT Danshui Line to the Shilin Station and take bus R30 (Red 30 - Low-floor bus) to the National Palace Museum. Other routes that will take you to and near the Museum plaza are buses 255, 304, 815 (Sanchung – NPM Line), Minibus 18 and Minibus 19.
Take the MRT Wenhu Line to the Dazhi Station and take bus B13 (Brown 13) to the National Palace Museum, alighting before the Front Facade Plaza of the Museum. Alternatively, visitors may choose to take the Wenhu Line and get off at Jiannan Rd. Station, then take bus B20 (Brown 20) to NPM's front entrance (Main Building).
Coin: NT$15 (per section)
Regular: NT$15 (deducted per section)
Student: NT$12 (deducted per section)
Discount: NT$8 (deducted per section)
1.Red 30 MRT shuttle bus (Low-floor bus)
2.Brown 13 MRT shuttle bus
3.Brown 20 MRT shuttle bus
▪ By Car
1.Going north on the Sun Yat-sen Freeway, exit at BinJiang Street in Taipei, take BinJiang Street and turn left onto the DaZhih Bridge. At the end of the bridge, take BeiAn Road and then go through the ZiQiang Tunnel. Turn right at the intersection of GuGong Road and ZhiShan Road to reach the Museum.
2.Driving south on the Sun Yat-sen Freeway, take the Neihu exit, turn left onto the expressway, and proceed to Section 1 of NeiHu Road. Continue to the traffic circle and proceed as above. (From the elevated portion of the freeway, exit at TiDing Boulevard, turn right at the end of the ramp, proceed to NeiHu Road, and follow as above.)
3.From Taipei's eastern district (Keelung Road), take the JhengCi Bridge to TiDing Boulevard, and continue as above.
4.From Taipei's Nankang district, take HuanDong and TiDing Boulevards, proceeding as above to the ZiQiang Tunnel and then the Museum.
5.From Taipei's northern districts (Shihlin and Peitou), take Zhongshan Road or WenLin Road to ZhongZheng Road, turn left, and proceed to the intersection of ZhiShan Road, which will take you past GuGong Road and to the Museum as indicated above.
A Palace Concert, Anonymous, Tang dynasty (618-907)
Immortal in Splashed Ink, Liang K'ai (fl. late 12th-early 13th c.), Sung dynasty (960-1279)
Jadeite Cabbage with Insects, Ch'ing dynasty (1644-1911)
P'an Basin with Dragon Motif, Shang Dynasty (1600-1046 BC)
Poem, Emperor Hui-tsung (1082-1135), Sung dynasty (960-1279)
Timely Clearing After Snowfall, Wang Hsi-chih (ca. 303-361), Chin dynasty (265-420)
Ting Ware White Ceramic Pillow in the Shape of a Child, Northern Sung Period (960-1126)
Date of Publication:2009-2
Date of Publication:2008-10
Directed by: 周兵
Directed by: Gérard Pirès / Tom Sito / Teddy T. Yang
Starring: Ellie Baer / Steve Pinto / Dina Sherman / Dan Woren
1.Famous Works of Modern Chinese Painting and Calligraphy
Dates: Permanent Exhibit 2014/08/01~2014/10/27
1.Light up national treasures
Location: Taipower Building (No.242, Sec. 3, Roosevelt Rd., Zhongzheng District, Taipei City)
1.Four Great Masters of the Ming Dynasty: Wen Zhengming
Gallery: Exhibition Area I 202,204,206,208,210,212